Gluten free casserole? Score!
My job for Thanksgiving tomorrow is to essentially bring my two favorite foods EVER: sweet potato casserole and pumpkin cake. I made my cake last night and just now finished the sweet potatoes. I decided I’d share the sweet potato recipe for a few reasons: A) It’s supposed to taste just like Boston Market’s own, B) it was way easier to make than I ever thought it would be, and C) I made it gluten free! It may not be low-carb but it’s completely natural and tons of vitamins are in those potatoes! I got the bulk of the recipe from recipecircus.com but modified it just slightly. So what are we waiting for?!
- 6 cups mashed sweet potatoes (I used 5 jumbo sized potatoes)
- 3/4 c dark brown sugar (I used regular Giant brand but I’m sure there’s a more natural/less processed kind that you can buy in what I call the “health-food-aisle” of the supermarket or your local whole foods.)
- 1/2 heavy cream (I used organic)
- 1/4 c melted butter (I used real butter–no margarine)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (ok, I’m a cinnamon-aholic. I used more than 1/4 but who’s counting?)
Oatmeal Streussel Topping
- 1/4 c rolled oats
- 2 TBS dark brown suagar
- 1 TBS all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon (again….are we still counting?)
- 2 TBS cold butter
- Rub some vegetable oil (I only had olive oil so that’s what I used) all over the potatoes and bake them (I used a glass baking dish) at 400 for 70 minutes.
- After they’ve cooled enough to handle, peel them and mash them.
- Add the cream, melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon; mix well, and pour mixture back into baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- For the topping, start by grinding up the oats into a fine powder by using a blender or food processor.
- Combine the blended oats with the sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter.
- Use a fork to cut/stir/combine the mixture until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over top of the potatoes and bake for 70-80 min or until the top starts to brown slightly.
- If you want to add marshmallows, simply sprinkle them on top of your casserole when it comes out of the oven and let it sit for abotu 10 minutes. The heat from the potatoes will melt the marshmallows.
- Nut lovers? Add crushed pecan bits to the streussel topping if you want to add pecans to your dish.