In the spirit of March Madness, I bring you MEATBALL MADNESS – with these easy and quick to cook, four ingredient meatballs!
They are gluten free and lactose free but still oh so juicy and full of protein!
FIRST, you need to decide your meat base: turkey or beef?
I prefer turkey meatballs but different strokes for different folks, so this recipe can be used for either type of ground meat!
– When I make meatballs, I don’t like to make them just for that night’s dinner; I love to make a whole batch, cook them all up and store them in the freezer (with or without sauce), that way, when I get a hankering for some Italian all I need to do is defrost those bad boys, add sauce and I am good to go!
– This recipe is based on 1 pound of chop meat and depending on how large of a batch you want to make, you may need to use more than 1 pound of chop meat.
– You will need to use gluten free bread as part of the recipe, *if you use Udi’s or any other frozen bread normally, it is helpful that at the end of a loaf, you save the ‘butts’ in the crisper of your fridge so you always have defrosted bread on hand. Don’t already do this? No worries, you can toast a slice of bread and it works just as well. Be careful with defrosting a slice of bread in the microwave though, I did it for too long once and the bread was not the right consistency to crumble and I had to throw the slice out, which is a sacrilege since it’s so expensive in the first place!
– Coconut Flour/Bread Crumbs are another option people use for meatballs, this is not how my mom taught me, but I have seen many successful recipes use these two alternatives for bread
– You will be using your hands to make the meatballs, if this grosses you out, my suggestion is to put your big girl/boy panties on and get over it ;] it’s well worth it for adequate mixing!
– Meatballs can be cooked a variety of ways, in a crockpot with sauce, baked in the oven, but my preferred method is in a frying pan, but they are not fried because I use NO oil!
Four Ingredient Homemade Meatballs – Frying Pan Method, but NOT fried
1 lb. of defrosted ground chop meat (turkey or beef I prefer turkey)
1.5 slices of gluten free bread* (see above tip) crumbled
Sprinkling of Garlic Powder (this is based on your preference taste, I go light with this)
1. Add all ingredients in work bowl
2. Mix up the ingredients with your hands, until egg and bread crumbles are evenly dispersed. (I am usually dying doing this cause it’s so cold, it’s like brain freeze for your fingers)
3. Form chop meat into circles, make them as big or as small as you would like, I prefer mine on the bigger side so I generally am able to make at least seven meatballs
4. Use a saute or frying pan, place meat balls in pan and cook on medium heat, turning meatballs once a side becomes brown, you want all sides of your meatball, which kind of turns into a meatball/square-ish shape, to be brown. This should take about 20 minutes and gives the meatballs a fried flavor even though no oil is used!
You know the meatball(squares) are cooked when your no longer see any pink if you slice one open or if you press down and the juice run clear. Turkey chop meat CAN NOT be ingested undercooked as a heads up!
5. While meatballs are cooking, take out your sauce, put in a pot and heat up. Plop meatballs in, once they are cooked, for about five to ten minutes, just enough to warm the sauce completely and let the meatballs become coated in the sauce.
Serve on top of:
If you haven’t already tried my Zoodles recipe or don’t even know what a zoodle is, click the link to find out!
Not gluten free? Then pair them with some good ol’ pasta and revel at how you just made an Italian masterpiece in under 30 minutes!