Stop Spending Money on the Go! Tips for the Busy, but Fit Family
I recently wrote a blog post on the topic of how easy it is to save money for a gym membership. My tips included seemingly simple yet not-always the most “fun” applications of money-saving — such as cutting back on eating out and not buying so many gourmet coffees every single morning.
If you really sit down and look at your budget and look at what you spontaneously spend money on each month, it probably wouldn’t be hard to cut out one restaurant meal, two gourmet coffees (a milk frother is a super cheap tool you can use to make lattes at home), and you can even likely swap out some high end make-up items or a mani/pedi every now and then for a do-it-yourself home spa experience.
No matter what you decide you’re able to cut out, it probably doesn’t have to be as much as you think. And once you know exactly how much the membership you want will cost (most gym memberships range anywhere from $30-130/mo depending on where you live and the specialty you choose), you can strategically plan to save up the exact amount you need.
Check out the rest of these tips for saving money, time, and in the long run–your health!!
(PS–have you read the trending article yet on how NOT going to the gym is ranking worse than actually smoking?! Seriously, if you’re not exercising–it’s time!)
- Plan your meals in advance
- Look at your calendar for the week and figure out when/where you need to take food.
- Plan a simple menu with one-skillet / crock pot / instant pot meals and easy to pack snacks such as cheese, yogurt (don’t forget the spoon!) nuts, seeds, fruit, berries, sliced veggies, hummus, hard boiled eggs.
- Go to the grocery store and get all your food items and prep your three main meals. Pack them in easy-to-store leak-proof containers and get your snacks ready to grab from the fridge.
- Keep a cooler in your car so that you can throw as many meals and snacks as needed into it for the day.
- Buy a large water bottle and fill it up in the morning so you’re not tempted to stop for a soda somewhere.
- Plan an afternoon “pick-me-up.” Don’t get caught at the vending machine. Have a Greek yogurt on standby, or some cottage cheese with fresh berries. Not a dairy fan? How about veggies, hummus, hard boiled eggs, fruit, or my fave splurge — a Perfect Bar. Drink a full glass of water–don’t forget to hydrate! Still need coffee? Keep a small thermos or insulated cup with you so that you don’t have to rush out to the overpriced coffee shop.
- Don’t buy single sized servings of anything. Buy the full size or the Costco-sized whatever it is, and then divide it up into containers/ziplock bags when you get home.
- The Costco Organic Applesauce pouches are great for kids AND make perfect pre-post workout snacks. Besides, who said those pouches are just for kids anyway?
- Keep your gym bag packed and ready to go at all times. Keep an extra water bottle, shaker bottle, and single serving scoops of protein powder in the bag. This will keep on track for your goals and it’s harder to talk yourself out of the gym and going to happy hour when your tennis shoes and protein shake is staring you in the face.
When you plan and prepare ahead of time, you don’t need to go out as often. But what if you love spending time out? Plan your evenings wisely. Can you cut back once or twice a week? Cutting back just one trip out will save money and calories from social eating and drinking. We’re much more likely to eat healthy and not consume alcohol when we’re at home vs being out and about.
365 Metcons One of my most popular publications — 365 metabolic conditioning/HIIT workouts. You’ll need kettlebells, dumbbells, medicine balls, jump ropes, and a place to run and row…but everything can be modified to fit your needs. Check it out!
12 Week Strength & Conditioning Program (it’s FREE!)
Contact me for one-on-one coaching help! Shoot me an email at strongfigure @ gmail with the subject line “Fitness Programming Help” and tell me about your goals, your background, and any other relevant details. I offer coaching programs starting at just $30/month!
Are you local?! I run a bootcamp program that’s kicking people’s butts in the BEST way! The results are steady and real. Come join us!!