Paleo BBQ Beef Brisket
If you love BBQ you will absolutely love this recipe. And it is pretty easy.
- 3-4 pounds of Beef Brisket
- 2 Medium Yellow Onions
- 2 Jalapenos
- 10 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 14.5 oz Can of Tomato Sauce (Organic of course)
- 1/4 tsp of Liquid Smoke
- 1 Beef Bouillon Cube
- 1/3 Cup of Honey
- 1 tbs of Ground Cayenne Pepper (sometimes I make with Chili Powder)
- 2 tbs of Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Chop the onions and brown them in a sauce pan over medium heat (Caramelized onions are a precious gift from God)
- Chop the jalapenos, remove the seeds, and add to a crock-pot/slowcooker.
- Chop garlic and add to the crock-pot
- Add the tomato sauce, honey, cayenne pepper, vinegar, beef bouillon, and liquid smoke. Liquid smoke is powerful stuff so do not add too much. I normally just fill the cap because I am bad at using measuring equipment. Mix thoroughly and allow to cook while you season your brisket.
- Season the brisket heavily with your Montreal Steak Seasoning. If you do not have this seasoning, salt and pepper will work fine. Some say to wash your brisket first, but I am not sure its necessary; just make sure to rub lots of your seasoning into the brisket. Put the brisket in the crockpot. Because we are slow cooking, I do not think it matters if the fat side is up or down.
- Pour your sauce over your brisket and cook on high for two hours.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for 6 hours.
- Remove the brisket, place in a baking dish, and pull apart with two forks.
- Pour the sauce in a blender and blend to a BBQ sauce consistency. Expect to use about 1/4 to 1/3 of your sauce. Steph loves the sauce so much that I make a little extra to use with other dishes.
- Pour the sauce over the pulled brisket, cover with foil, and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.
Your brisket is now ready! If you are eating paleo, it is great served in steamed cabbage leaves or serve with a paleo coleslaw. If you are not paleo but are a carb-backloader then it is also great on a bun of your choice.