Who doesn’t love tacos? Full of meat (PROTEIN) and all the fixings, they are a fiesta in your mouth! Tacos are a crowd pleaser at any table, especially those with gluten free and gluten eaters. Plus, they don’t require a lot of work, which makes it perfect for busy weeknights or when you’re hosting a party. The Super Bowl is this Sunday, and although I won’t be watching, those of you who are hosting parties, make your life simple and satisfy your guests with a Make Your Own Taco Bar. Ditch the dips and finger foods for this versatile dish that can be made with any type of meat, fish, and for you vegetarians/vegans out there, beans or tofu.
Tacos (Just the meat)
1 lb. ground turkey (or beef)
(I can get three to four meals out of one pound for just myself, adjust according to your needs!)
1 Packet 25% Less Sodium Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix*
2/3 cup water
1 8 ounce can of No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
– this is optional but adds SO much flavor, and makes the meat extra juicy, I will add it if I have a can on hand, but the ground turkey tastes great with out it too
Ortega Yellow Corn Taco Shells* – labeled GF right on the box!
(if you and gluten get along just fine, take your pick between a soft or hard shell taco)
1. Brown ground turkey (or beef) in a skillet until thoroughly cooked
3. Stir in water and seasoning mix, I sometimes use a little bit less than 2/3 cup water, it depends if I am adding the tomato sauce or not. Eyeball the amount of water based on your own preferences
4. Heat to a boil, lower heat, and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens
5. Spoon your meat into your tortilla shell and top with your favorite fillings!
NOW FOR THE FUN PART: THE FILLINGS – pick and choose whatever YOU like, I starred my favorites!
Go Veggie Lactose Free Rice Style Cheddar Shreds*
Plain Greek Yogurt*
Rice, I put mine on the side
Pico De Gallo
Whatever else you want to bring to the fiesta in your mouth, add to your taco!
*Some quick information for my celiac, gluten intolerant, gluten sensitive or simply gluten free readers*:
Taco Seasoning:While Old El Paso Taco Seasoning is not labeled gluten free, there are no gluten containing ingredients in the list because the company has a strict gluten disclosure policy. I use this Taco Seasoning all the time and have never experienced an issue. A thread on Celiac.com also gave this Taco Seasoning as well as Ortega the thumbs up. BUT, and this is a big but, if you are extremely sensitive to gluten or want further reassurance, you can contact the company at 1-800-300-8664 to find out for yourself!
Taco Shells: I always buy Ortega Yellow Corn Shells, they are labeled gluten free right on the box. If purchasing another corn tortilla variety, hard or soft, please check the ingredients or contact the company if you are unsure! It is always better to be safe than sorry. If you’re looking for a soft shell, even though they are considered a “wrap”, Toufayan makes a delicious gluten free wrap that goes great with tacos if you don’t want a crunchy shell!
– Set up a “Make Your Own” Taco Bar for large parties – but if you are dining with gluten free and gluten eaters, EXPLAIN ABOUT CROSS CONTAMINATION, or provide separate toppings for super sensitive guests
– Ground Turkey or Beef not your thing? Try Chicken, Fish, Beans, or Tofu
-Switch out your sour cream for plain greek yogurt as a healthy alternative that tastes just as good and adds extra protein! My sensitive stomach can tolerate the small amounts of greek yogurt because of the probiotics, if you are severely lactose intolerant, this may not work for you!
– Lactose Intolerant? Check out the link for the Go Veggie Lactose Free Rice Style Cheddar Shreds above, they’re also soy free as well! They are my savior when it comes to missing cheese, they taste, melt, and stretch just like the real thing!
– If soy is not an issue for you, Go Veggie also has this Lactose Free variety of cheese that also comes in more flavors!
– All of the Lactose Free Go Veggie options do contain casein, but that doesn’t bother my stomach!
– Milk allergy/sensitivity? Avoiding Casein? or Vegan? No worries, Go Veggie has a cheese for you too! Because come on, what’s a taco without the cheese!