I’ve got a big sweet tooth. I don’t deprive myself of sweets and treats, if I want something I am going to have it. That being said, I want a sweet treat every day, especially right after dinner…. SO I love finding and trying out ideas that satisfy my sweet tooth AND are healthy! BUT, that also don’t take a lot of time and effort, because quite frankly, if I want a sweet, I’m looking for almost immediate satisfaction! I had seen apple in a bag recipes all over the internet but hadn’t tried one until this past summer, I was skeptical at the end result. Well, my doubts melted away like these apples did in my mouth at first bite.
After looking at a few different recipes, I decided I wanted mine more like “pie” and came up with the concoction below:
Apple “Pie” in Under Five
- 1 Apple, cored and sliced (I made my slices into pieces to be more like apple pie), keep the skin on, that’s where the nutrients are!
- 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon (I didn’t really measure, I just shook it a few times)
- 1/4 tsp. of cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water + a splash (I wanted mine more liquidy)
- Spoonful of Sugar – I used brown sugar, you can use white, or an alternative sweetener
- “Crumbles” of your choice (totally optional, but make it more “pie” like) – I used 1 GF/DF Jo-Sef Vanilla Square Cookie crumbled, MY FAVORITE, and gluten free graham crackers would work just as well such as S’moreables
– Annie’s Bunnies in Vanilla or Snickerdoodle1.
1. Core and Slice Apple – keep the skin on for nutrients! or take it off if you insist…
2. Place in freezer bag with cinnamon, cornstarch, water, and sugar
3. Seal bag and shake to mix ingredients and coat the apples with the mixture
4. Open the bag A LITTLE at the corner to vent
5. Microwave for 2 minutes, IT WILL BE VERY HOT CAREFUL
6. Top with your crumblesSatisfy your sweet tooth in under five minutes with this fairly healthy treat!